What is a support group?
A support group is a gathering of people with a common concern or health issue. Support groups do not contain treatment from a medical provider, instead they focus on a specific condition and emphasize emotional support and shared experiences. Members are typically free to share their concerns, important information they have learned, or provide advice to other members.
Benefits in a Support Group
- Talking honestly and expressing feelings
- Feeling less isolated
- Better understanding of your condition
- Reducing anxiety, stress, fear of the unknown
- Feeling more in control
- Gaining advice from others with a similar
- Finding doctors and other valuable resources
How to find a support group
- Ask your doctor or health care provider
- Call the local hospital
- Perform an online search
- Check with local churches/charity organizations
- Check with large foundations for instance American Heart Association, National MS Society, American Cancer Society, etc.